Monday, April 03, 2006

Easy Reader

The other day I was skimming the paper and noticed an announcement of a "Singles Book Swap" at a locally owned bookstore. I love to read, love books and love to discuss books. Perfect for me, I thought. But what to swap?

As I looked over my bookshelves I saw a lot of books my former husband left without taking. Should I take some of those to get them out of my house? They say nothing about me; they aren't books I read and loved. But they were books I wanted to get rid of. So I concocted a story. "I'm cleaning out books from friends and relatives." Sounded plausible, right?

As I drive over there on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon, I wonder what I am doing. I've got no wingman, I'm totally solo. What if there is no one there? What if I'm the only normal person? What if I see a room of scary people?

What was wrong with me? My usual courage and enjoyment of meeting new people had somehow flown out the window. Time for a call to best friend T. As I'm driving and talking, she is pointing out that it's OK to be nervous, that I might meet some cool people, that she would go with me if she could. Nothing like a friend to remind you that all is well.

I drive past the book store and it looks like there's no one there. What is I'm the only one there? What if I'm the only loser in this whole town who is going inside on such a gorgeous Spring day? Where is my courage?

I actually drive past, make a trip to Target instead. (On an up note, I got the coolest sunglasses which my sister will be totally jealous over.)

After spending some money at the mecca, I go back to the bookstore. What's to lose? 15 minutes of my day, right? Inside I walk. A very cool bookstore. Just the kind I like. Lots of books crammed everywhere, stacked on the floor, put into cubbyholes. The woman in charge came over and told me how the swap works. You take your books and a slip of paper and put your name on them, with a phone and any comments about the book. Place them on the table. Then you can take as many books from the table as the number of books you brought. Bring in 5, take out 5.

At the table was a nice young guy. About 35 maybe. He was polite enough and I tried to engage some conversation.

Me: What are you reading now?
Him: Oh, nothing right now.
Me: Is there anything you're recommending to your friends?
Him: Well, I just finished "In Cold Blood."
Me: Have you seen the movie? I loved it.
Him: No.

And so on. Not the easiest conversation. Is it that people are just not curious? That people have lost the art of polite conversation with a stranger? He is there for a Singles Book Swap. You would think he'd be ready for conversation. Even if it's someone out of their "target range." Have we lost the art of talking to one another in person?

More and more as I look at what I'd like from a partner/relationship/friend is someone who enjoys talking. Likes exchanging opinions. Who can dish the gossip (harmless gossip only) as well as discuss current events. Someone who can make an evening fly by, leaving you wanting more.

Is there anyone out there?

At the end, I got 2 cool books, one of which I almost purchased at the BIG bookstore a couple of days ago. And I ordered another book from the very cool owner lady. All in all, an OK way to spend some time on a gorgeous afternoon.

And so I go on.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry I couldn't join you at the swap. I think people have lost the art of conversation. I often wonder people have lost all curiousity and interest in one another. I am proud of you for going and trying something new. I will be your wingman, er wingwoman, anytime. ;)

MH

Sassy said...

Thanks, MH! And I will be your wingwoman as well!