Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Lean Cuisine or Lean Conversation?

D called last night. He's one of the first guys from the online service I met. Gosh, hard to believe that was 18 months ago. Nice enough guy. But he tends to talk about himself all the time. And I mean ALL the time. Check this out:

When I first met him he actually told me how much debt he had. Huh? That's something to be proud of? He's almost 50 years old, didn't own a home, and was up to his eyeballs in credit card bills. Like this is attractive to me. And how did he get like this? Partying. No, thanks. Next!

He also loves to tell me how much money he's making. Again I respond, "huh?" First, my MOM doesn't know how much money I make. Let alone a stranger you met online. Yes, folks, he told me all of this within the first or second time we got together.

Now, I enjoy D's company. In small doses. He's funny, entertaining, tells good stories. Between him talking about himself, that is. Last evening he gave me a full inventory of new furniture he's purchased. (Debt, people, debt) He also wanted to tell me about his car (the German engineered thing), his plans for a new house, his plans for work, etc. Yikes!

So again, I'm back to the question of conversation. Had D read a paper? Can he talk about city politics, movies, music? Does he have an opinion about the world? And can he hold a conversation with me?

Perhaps we have the clue to why he is single. At this age group, looks are nice, but I'm searching for intellectual stimulation as well. Someone who can interest me and engage me. Not someone who I want to hang up on so I can get back to my Cheese Stuffed Shells by Lean Cuisine. And so I grab my fork and move on.....

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Definitely sounds like the Lean Cuisine is more worthwhile. I would say that he's trying to impress you with the fancy schmancy stuff he's talking about getting . . . but then I remember the part where you said that he was practically begging about his debt . . .which isn't so impressive. So, I've just come to the conclusion that he's dumb.