Monday, June 05, 2006

An open letter to Brad Pitt

Dear Brad:

Let me first congratulate you on the birth of your new daughter. While I'm not a parent, I can only imagine the joy of welcoming a new child into the world.

What I'd really like to talk to you about is your relationship with Angelina Jolie. As a 45 year-old divorced woman, I have lots of thoughts about relationships and getting into something 'way too fast. I mean, you only divorced Jennifer Aniston last year. And already you have a daughter with someone else?

Now, I'm not a prude. I understand that people have children out of wedlock all the time. My concerns lie in the fact that you both seemed to jump into this relationship a little fast. You met on a movie set, remember? That can't be a real world situation. Did you sit down and talk about how you were going to manage your finances? What about your dreams and fears? Did you talk about who was going to discipline the children? Or who was responsible for the dishes?

Did you both think back on previous relationships and look for the patterns and lessons that were there? Have you talked about what makes a good relationship to you and are you both on the same page? Did you wonder about what has made Angelina jump from man to man? Have you thought about how she said how much she was into BillyBob, then said the same things about you?

All of this comes from my experiences, thoughts and (hopefully) gained wisdom over the last 2 years. While I've enjoyed dating, and certainly most of my time with The Torch, I have also taken the time to think about what I might need to change in myself, what I should look out for a new partner, what I deserve. I'm looking for the right person for the long haul, not just someone who lights my fire in a superficial (read: sex) way. Someone who can share hopes and dreams. And someone who can interest me emotionally, intellectually and physically.

If Angelina does all this for you, my blessings to you. However, my thoughts are that you both should have taken some time to explore lessons from the last few years.

Best wishes,
Sassy

No comments: