Saturday, January 13, 2007

Horse auction? Or horse's ass?




With the end of dating BuffaloBoy, I have put myself out there again on two dating sites. After a flurry of emails, I agreed to meet last weekend for a breakfast with someone I'll call Horse. Before this meeting, we had chatted on the phone and I thought he was fun, but a little edgy. Nothing off color, you understand, but sharp with his words. And not in the best way. But as Friend T and I say, "everyone gets a cup of coffee."

Now, I understand what age range I am dating. I understand we have all aged a bit. I know that we are not 18 any more. So when I meet Horse for the first time in front of the restaurant, I am not surprised that he is a little round, shall we say, around the middle.

We smile, make small talk and proceed into the restaurant. Our orders are taken and the chit-chat continues. The talk turns to keeping active and fit. He asked me what I do to keep in shape. I reply that I walk, hike when I can, play tennis, ride my bike. I say (OK a little stretch) that I try to eat healthy and take care of myself.

Then he says, with a wave of his hand to the open area of the floor, "Well turn around and let me see."

Luckily, I had my wits about me and replied, with sarcasm, "This is not a horse auction."

With his reply of, "Well for me it is," I was done. At least with this man. Although I have to admit I stayed around to finish my breakfast. I kept my polite demeanor, ended the date as soon as possible and got out of there.

What I want to know is in what universe is this type of comment to a first date OK? I'm constantly stumped with grown men who have been raised by wolves. Wolves with bad manners.

And so I move on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you believe this guy!!!!! what a d@#% head. Im sorry you had to go through that. Stick it out though, my hubby number 2 is not a neanderthal. There is someone great out there for you.

Anonymous said...

oh my god! boys. they're all alike.
i'm thinking "the Torch" should come into the picture more.