Monday, April 16, 2007

I'm not your entertainment committee


On Saturday night when I was getting ready to go out on the town with Wingwoman when the phone rang. Being slow on the Caller ID thing, I pick up. The voice was someone I had dated almost 2 full years ago. We went out for 2 dates and that was that.

Being the polite gal I am, I said hello and asked how he was. He chitted and chatted. Now, mind you it's a Saturday night. Finally I had to almost cut him off and let him know that I was getting ready to go out.

As I drove over the Wingwoman's house, I thought about what brought him out of the woodwork. I decided he was just bored, calling around in his "black book" to see what he could stir up.

Through my dating years, I've noticed this phenomonen. Boys who call when they're bored or lonely or both. As a nice person who knows what it feels like to be bored or lonely, I understand. But I call my friends, not someone I've not seen for months. I reach out to family. Or I simple pull my boots up and figure out how to entertain myself.

The other problem with this is I want to be polite. As women we are taught to be nice, polite, welcoming. However, in the dating world, sometimes it's cruel to be kind. I don't want to give someone a false hope, lead them on, make them think something that's not.

And so I move on.

1 comment:

Terry said...

Love this post. You're so clearheaded and perceptive about other people's motivations.