Thursday, March 23, 2006

Coffee talk. Or not.

Last weekend I had a blind coffee date. Set up by someone I know who knows someone who knows someone. Whatever. I believe that at this time, it's a numbers game. Dating now at 45 is not like dating at 25. There's not gangs of people out there looking for a partner. Or maybe there are, and I'm just not in one of them. I'm not a "bar girl." So that's out. And while I have enjoyed online dating (more on that later), I still am up for the old set-up.

This man was nice. Really. And not bad to look at. But I'm not sure how long he has been dating since his divorce. He invited me to meet at a local coffee shop. Cool. One hour, you're in, you're out. We get there, introduce ourselves and sit down. Now, you would think that he would offer to get me a coffee. I'm not a greedy girl, mind you. But dude, you asked me to meet at a coffee shop!

We get to talking and things are going, well, medium. For those who know me, I like to chat. Talk. Visit. I also like a conversation. A discussion. A give and take of ideas and discussions. And this poor guy looked like a deer in headlights. So I hold up my end and his end of the conversation. And frankly, that gets a little tiring. Where are the guys who have something to say? Current events? City politics? Movies? Come on, people!

At the end (luckily I had an appointment at my neighborhood salon to get to), he thanked me for a great conversation and says, "I usually can't string two sentences together." Oh, well. Nice guy. Hope he finds someone that's right for him. No big deal. Hour out of my life. And I move forward.....

No comments: